Saturday, March 8, 2008

Drew visits Emily

The "marble works" at CHOP
The black ball is flying in the air.
Check out that smile!


I brought Drew with me to the hospital on Thursday, so Gee-off would just have Carter and Brenna at home. And I thought it would be nice to have some one on one time with Drew when we weren't in the room with Emily.

CHOP is very kid and family friendly so I knew there would be plenty for Drew to see and do while we were there. The PICU has a playroom where he got to play with cars, trains, a big monster truck, instruments, a medical kit, and dinosaurs - which he took back to the room for a while too.

They have a TV in Emily's room, so he got to watch some cartoons. And they have a kitchen on the floor so we had some free juice and cookies for a snack. He also got to talk to Emily's nurse and meet her endocrine doctors and speech therapist.

For lunch, I took him down to McDonald's (yes, they have one right in the hospital!) and he got a Happy Meal with a chocolate milk shake. After all, it was a pretty special trip. Then we sat in the atrium and played with the large "marble works" exhibit. It's an about 8 feet tall enclosed structure, made of metal tracks that move extra large "marbles" all around and make music, spin through loops and bounce on platforms. Lots for a four year old to take in!! He really loved it.

When I asked him what his favorite part of the day was, he said, "drinking his milkshake in the elevator." Cute!

As we were leaving, he said good bye to Emily's nurse. And as we were walking away, he said to me, "I love that girl!"

As for Emily, her calcium has come way down. She will not get anymore calcitonin shots right now. Some of her other electrolytes have been too high or too low, so she has been getting some supplements through her ng tube. She has thrown up a few times since the tube has gone in and has not really been making any progress with her suck.

She has been stable enough to move her out of the PICU though, and she will be moving to the endocrine floor today.

4 comments:

Cat said...

Just wanted to check in to see how Emily was doing. I pray for you and your family every day. You are truly an amazing family, and some day soon you will be able to look back on this and will be a happy family of 6. I am glad Drew was able to visit Emily with you today, I imagine it helps to get through this challenging time.

I will let the girls of BBC know to check your blog for updates and will check back soon.

Take care, lots of hugs, Cat

Cat said...

Just wanted to check in on Emily. I pray for her and your family every day. You are an amazing family. I just know that some time soon you will be able to look back on this and will have a healthy family of 6. I am glad Drew was able to visit Emily with you today. I imagine it helps to get through this challenging time.

I will let the girls of BBC know to check your blog for updates.

Take care, lots of hugs,
Cat

Uncle Bill and Aunt Nan said...

Sending you all our love and praying always for Emily's healing and happiness. Just love the pix of Drewbie. Hugs and kisses, Aunt Nan and Uncle Bill

Gretchen McStreusel said...

Sending hugs and prayers to Emily and the rest of you guys! Loved the pics of Drew...what a cutie. I hope this is just a tiny bump and that the doctors can get everything figured out soon.

Gretchen